Take Action by donating shoes to Soles4Souls
This year Hilton Head Island Elementary is once again hosting a Shoe Drive in January to collect shoes for Soles4Souls. This international shoe charity helps individuals in need by recycling some of the 300 MILLION pairs of shoes thrown away by Americans each year. The shoes are then redistributed through the charity’s international and domestic partners to the millions of children and adults who, due to poverty or natural disasters, are in need of shoes. This is a perfect supplement to the international and community service focus within our International Baccalaureate PYP program. If you would like to learn more about this organization, you can visit their website at http://www.soles4souls.org.
Our school has participated in a Shoe Drive every other year since 2013. This January it’s time to do it again. In 2013 we collected nearly 1000 shoes. In 2015, our goal was 1000 shoes but we ended up collecting exactly 2015 pairs. I am hoping we can collect even more this year. Here is a link to our Soles4Souls video on youtube https://youtu.be/jCgXf3NmAXU. We will be collecting shoes from January 4-28, 2017.
Traditionally, we line the shoes up by pairs in the hallways from the bus doors to the front office-and back, and counting the pairs by 10’s. This year we are excited to have the following help and support:
- Student Council will help with counting and lining up shoes, and packing up shoes at the end of the drive.
- GT Arts students will make clay pendant necklaces as a fundraiser to pay for the truck to deliver shoes, and as well as packing up shoes at the end of the drive
- The Math Department will be working with classroom teachers to make math connections to the shoe drive: estimating, counting, graphing, etc.
- The Literacy Department will be working with classroom teachers to make literacy connections to the shoe drive: reading, research and creative and persuasive writing,
- The IB Coordinator will be helping students develop international mindedness as they make connections between our local community and our global community.